Today we are talking armpits, and leaving the stink behind while switching to natural deodorant.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase using these links, I make a small commission which allows Primp And Prime Beauty to keep bringing you content. I really appreciate if you do, but if you don’t, that’s fine too 🙂 Read here for full disclosure. All opinions are 100% my own!
I have been on the natural deodorant journey for a few months now, and let me tell you it hasn’t been easy. As a matter of fact, I have almost given up a few times because nothing was working for me, or worse, I would get a bad reaction from some.
The truth about switching to natural deodorant is that IT TAKES TIME! This is definitely not a scenario where you are going to purchase a natural deodorant and within a day feel fresh, and smell like a field of fresh flowers.
Another truth is that everyone is different and will experience the switch differently.
Why Switch To Natural Deodorant?
You might be asking yourself why you should even bother going through a bunch of trial and error when you can just wear a regular antiperspirant and call it a day, right?
Well, anti-perspirants actually contain aluminum and cause a blockage in your sweat glands to prevent you from releasing the sweat. That may sound ok, but it’s definitely not! Your body’s natural way of releasing toxins is through sweating. Now these toxins are being backed up and released into your body because your glands are now clogged.
After years, and years of using regular deodorant, I started noticing they weren’t working so great for me anymore. I never felt totally fresh, and I actually felt like my underarms had a chemical like smell which obviously isn’t normal. That’s when I decided to make a change.
5 Easy Tips To Help You Transition To Natural Deodorant
1. Drink tons of water!
You should be doing this anyway for many other health reasons, but drinking water will help you flush out toxins that have been backed up into your body.
2. Exfoliate & Mask
I actually experienced a rash before I started to properly exfoliate and use a detox mask on my armpits. I have two products that have helped so much:
- Pacifica Beauty Coconut & Charcoal Underarm Detox Scrub: Very fine exfoliating granules and the help of charcoal help draw out impurities, and green tea helps to calm the skin.
- Lavanila The Healthy Underarm Detox Mask: This is pricey, but I grabbed it online from Ulta with a coupon. It is a brush on mask containing charcoal, malic acid, and silica. It also has brightening properties if you suffer from having a dark underarm area. I swear by this mask, and think this has really been the key to balancing the bacteria, and removing the build up. I’m now down to using this 1x a week.
You can also DIY your own armpit detox. There are so many to create using apple cider vinegar, baking soda, bentonite clay, etc.
3. Use a Gentle Cleanser
Instead of body washes & soaps that are heavily scented, try using ones for sensitive skin, preferably natural washes. Some of my favorites are from:
4. Stay Away From Smelly Foods
I know, easier said than done, especially if you love garlic as much as I do. I would say this tip stands for just the period of time where your body is going through its excessive sweating/getting rid of the backed up junk phase. You don’t want to create extra not so nice scents to come through your pores.
5. Choose A Natural Deodorant
Sounds easy right? Welllll…this is the part where lots of trial and error come in. I can not tell you how many different natural deodorant brands, formulas, and fragrances I have gone through only to have none of them work for me. So far, I have been switching between two and they are working great! I still sweat (which is what you want), but I have no odor, or gross residue that I feel like never comes off in the shower. Here are the two natural deodorants I am loving:
- LAVANILA The Healthy Deodorant in scent “Vanilla + Air”: I purchased this also from Ulta with a coupon and am in love. It doesn’t leave white marks or stains, and smells beautiful with notes of violet, rose, and vanilla. There are a few other scents as well.
- Dove 0% Aluminum in the scent “Coconut & Pink Jasmine”: I really like the scent, and how it doesn’t stain, and controls odor. I just don’t like having a sticky feeling after applying that lasts a while until it dries.
There are also a few other products that I really like for freshening up the underarms without the chemicals. Check these out as well to carry in your bag!
- Pacifica Coconut Vanilla Underarm Deodorant Water
- Pacifica Coconut Milk & Essential Oils Underarm Deodorant Wipes
I hope these tips make your transition to natural deodorant quick, and easy!
What kind of deodorant do you use? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading!
PIN ME TO YOUR FAVORITE BOARDS 🙂